Be part of a company where all profit goes to charity.
We usually respond within a week
Backend developer at Paf!
Are you searching for a position where you can make a difference? Our focus is on creating exciting, everyday entertainment that lasts. We lead the way in the industry. Responsible gaming is the backbone of our company.
Paf was founded by Public Health on Åland, Red Cross and Save the Children. We strive for a long-term sustainable business and we care about our employees, customers and the society. Be part of an entertainment company where all profit benefits the society.
About the position:
We are looking for a seasoned backend developer who is curious and passionate about programming. You are confident to take your own initiatives and easy to collaborate with. You are also driven and never hesitate to ask for help when you need it. The team you are joining is highly experienced and characterized by an open-minded atmosphere where everyone is welcome to contribute.
We care about our employees:
- We have flexible working hours to make your everyday life easier.
- We have generous terms regarding pensions, wellness, free healthcare etc.
- We avoid overtime. You staying with us for 10 years is more important than short-term business goals.
- We adjust to where you want to work:
- 100% at the office
- 100% remote
- Or a mix where you’re at the office a few days a week
If you choose to work 100% remote, you will be given money to buy a desk and chair. We will buy screens, docking station headset, computer, phone etc. If you choose a mix you will be given a double set of equipment so you have the same conditions at home and at the office.
You can also choose to work abroad for 3 months a year. The only requirement is that you work approximately the same working hours as your colleagues.
What you will do:
You will be involved in the entire development process, from requirement specification, creation of stories, estimations, development, testing, release and maintenance. Over time you are expected to understand the platform well enough that you can recommend necessary changes in architecture and understand their long-term impact. The team you will be joining maintains a standalone backend platform, meaning full responsibility in maintaining it, but also full flexibility in all architectural decisions for the whole backend stack.
Feel free to check out our tech radar to see which technologies are coming, which we use, and which we are phasing out!
We are looking for you, who:
- Is a seasoned backend developer with several years of experience working on complex backend systems.
- Has a genuine interest in learning new technologies and languages as needed, but is already a fluent Java developer.
- Like us, already has plenty of experience with complex projects, such as breaking down monoliths into microservices, making the journey from on-premises to the cloud, managing complex data migrations, and more.
- Has extensive experience working with relational databases. It is especially meriting if your previous experiences in this field include: architecting and managing multi-terabyte DBs, complex table partitioning, query optimizations, and several years of experience working with PostgreSQL.
Additional skill sets that will make us more interested, and help you get the job done:
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure, ideally GCP or AWS, as well as managing said infrastructure using Terraform or other IaC tools.
- Interest and experience in building and improving CI/CD pipelines, especially knowledge about GitHub Actions.
- Familiarity with deployment workflows including Docker and Kubernetes.
We focus on personal experiences and knowledge in software development, instead of only formal education and diplomas. We award:
- How experienced you are as a developer
- Great communication skills
- Track record as a team player
The recruitment process will include a programming test. If you want to show projects that you have done earlier, at work or in your spare time, you are very welcome to add that in your application.
Start: Immediately, with regards to the period of notice.
Scope: Full time, with flexible working hours.
Location: Norrköping, but there is flexibility regarding location. If you prefer to live and work elsewhere in Sweden, this can be arranged.
There are good opportunities to work abroad for 3 months per year.
We work continuously with the selection and the ad can be closed down before the position is filled, if we have decided to continue with selection and interviews.
- Remote status
- Fully Remote
- Employment type
- Remote work
- Work remote from anywhere in Sweden
Some of our benefits
We adjust to where you want to work
Up to 3 months a year.
One exercise hour / week during work time.
Choose the tools you like
We work only with the latest technologies.
Well designed working and social spaces
To support the agile mindset and ensure good ergonomics.
Fresh fruit and snacks in the offices. And coffee. Lots of coffee!
Workplace & culture
A workplace is more than a place to work.
Our philosophy is that an inspiring working environment goes hand in hand with being able to offer the best customer experience possible. Our culture and values make up the collective personality of our organisation which is what ultimately sets us apart, defines who we are and shapes our aspirations.
To us, sustainable growth means emphasizing customer satisfaction and promoting healthy gaming habits.
Paf is a Nordic gaming company founded on Åland in 1966 to generate profit for the benefit of society. We were one of the very first gaming companies to go online in 1999. Many of our games are exclusive to Paf and developed by our in-house Games Studio. We are an award-winning industry leader in responsible gaming. Our physical gaming operations include over 30 cruise ships criss-crossing the Baltic and North Seas.
Our offices are located on Åland, in Helsinki, Stockholm, Riga, Tallinn, Oslo, Norrköping, Gzira and Madrid. Paf (Ålands Penningautomatförening) is licensed and controlled by the Government of Åland.
In 2021, the Paf Group had a total turnover of 135 million euros and a profit of 34,3 million euros. More information at aboutpaf.com
Be part of a company where all profit goes to charity.
Loading application form
Already working at Paf ?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.